As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve made it a point to try going meatless on Monday’s. However, I didn’t exactly stick to it yesterday so today I’m bringing you a yummy vegetarian chili recipe. Chili is one of my favorite comfort foods and this healthy version is perfect for a hearty lunch or dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 12 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into small pieces
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes with no added salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) kidney beans with no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) black beans with no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the tofu, tomatoes, beans, chili powder and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro. Ladle into individual bowls and serve immediately.