I am in love with quinoa. I could make it in any way and still get amazed how delicious it is. But I also love pizza! However, this love comes with cravings as well as regrets after I eat it. Sometimes when I feel like eating pizza, this is what I do:
- I stay away from my phone so I don’t call Domino’s or Pizza Hut and use that large-3 toppings pizza coupon my magnet is holding onto my fridge.
- I make the next best thing after Domino’s pizza… Quinoa Pizza Balls.
All I can tell you is this: You are going to love this recipe and the best part, no regrets. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.
- 2/3 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 2 cups cooked white or red kidney beans
- 10-15 chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup tomato paste
- 3-5 drops plain stevia liquid to taste
- garlic salt top taste
DIRECTIONS (Makes about 24 balls, depending on size)
If your quinoa is not pre-rinsed, rinse well and drain. Bring the broth to a boil in a medium pot over high heat. Add quinoa, lower heat to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Check the quinoa; if the liquid is not yet absorbed, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes longer, until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is softened. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line two cookie sheets with parchment, or spray with nonstick spray. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mash the beans with a potato masher or large fork until almost smooth (but leave a little texture). Add remaining ingredients, including quinoa, and, with clean hands, knead the “dough” to combine well. Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, scoop the mixture and roll into balls. Place on cookie sheets and bake in preheated oven 25-35 minutes, rotating the pans about halfway through, until the balls are dry and well browned on the outside. Serve immediately, or store in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.